Sunday 7 August 2011

Time Trial on a Raleigh Twenty and a steel Iceni

I decided to revamp the Iceni into a dedicated TT bike. I enlisted the assistance of AWCycles who did a great job (I can highly recommend them). It cost me around £200 to do that - see photo above - whereas a new TT bike would've cost ten times that price. She weighs in around 10.4kg and my best 10mile TT so far on her is 25:51. Whereas the TT mean machine below weighs 16.0kg!!

I fitted basic new tyres to the £25 Raleigh 20 (Stowaway model), an alloy seatpost, modern saddle, but everything else is as original. I rode this bike, exactly as shown in the photo above, in a 10 mile TT, clocking 31:28. Great thing about riding a shopper at an evening club TT is that it seems to cheer everyone up! Afterwards, I did catch myself thinking "Sub 30 min is possible if I lower the bars to get more aero, fitted alloy rims, slicks, service the bb and hubs, new chain, lose the rack, mudguards and kick stand, etc... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment